This article discusses how to install the Canon MP250 all-in-one printer on Ubuntu 11.10
1. Download the printer drivers from the Canon website. You will need to select you Linux under ‘Operating system’ and your language. I choose English in this case.
2. Extract the contents of the archives. You can do this by opening a terminal (ctrl + alt + t), changing to the directory containing the drivers archive and running the following command :
tar xf mp250\ printer\ driver\ 3.40\.tar
I assume the name of the archive is ‘mp250 printer driver 3.40.tar’
Once done, you will have 3 archives created cnijfilter-mp250series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz, cnijfilter-mp250series-3.40-1-rpm.tar.gz, and guidemp250series-pd-3.40-1_en.tar.gz.
3. Extract the contents of cnijfilter-mp250series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz using the command :
tar xzf cnijfilter-mp250series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz
This will create a folder called cnijfilter-mp250series-3.40-1-deb in the same directory.
4. Change to the cnijfilter-mp250series-3.40-1-deb directory. You will find 2 folders (packages and resources) and a file (install.sh).
5. Change to the packages directory. You will see 4 archives :
The archives ending with ‘amd64.db’ are for 64-bit machines while those ending with ‘i386.db’ are for 32-bit machines. For the next steps I assume you’re using a 64-bit machine. If using a 32-bit one, do the same on the corresponding files.
6. Double-click cnijfilter-common_3.40-1_amd64.deb. This will fire up Ubuntu Software Centre and install some drivers. Once done, you will see a check mark and the word ‘installed’ for ‘IJ Printer driver for Linux’
7. Double-click cnijfilter-mp250series_3.40-1_amd64.deb. This will fire up Ubuntu Software Centre and install some drivers. Once done, you will see a check mark and the word ‘installed’ for ‘IJ Printer driver for Linux’
8. You’re done. Now test the printer by printing a test page. If all goes well, you will find it works.
Note : I tried using the install.sh file mentioned earlier to no avail, even after commenting out and updating some parts of it as recommended in some articles on the Internet, so I advise not to bother using install.sh.